Assistant Professor, Sterge Faculty Fellow
- Office: Manchester 388
- Home Page: http://users.wfu.edu/gemmerj/
- Email: gemmerj ‘at’ wfu.edu
- B.S. Mathematics and Physics, Millersville University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, University of Arizona, 2008
- Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Arizona, 2012
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Wake Forest University, July 2016 - Present
- Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Chicago Committee on Computational and Applied Mathematics, January 2020-March 2020
- Long Term Visitor, Department of Mathematics, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, August 2019-December 2019
- Consultant, American Institute of Mathematics, August 2019-December 2019
- Long Term Visitor, Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, January 2016
- NSF-RTG Postdoctoral Fellow, Brown University Division of Applied Mathematics, July 2013-June 2016
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Arizona, Arizona Center for Mathematical Sciences, July 2012-June 2013
Applied mathematics, mathematical modeling, calculus of variations, partial differential equations, dynamical systems, stochastic differential equations.
- Gemmer, J. A., Moon, G., & Raynor, S. G. (2020). Solutions to a two-dimensional, Neumann free boundary problem. Applicable Analysis, 99(2), 214-231.
- Chen, Y., Gemmer, J. A., Silber, M., & Volkening, A. (2019). Noise-induced tipping under periodic forcing: Preferred tipping phase in a non-adiabatic forcing regime. Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science, 29(4), 043119.
- Sabbah, S., Gemmer, J. A., Bhatia-Lin, A., Manoff, G., Castro, G., Siegel, J. K., ... & Berson, D. M. (2017). A retinal code for motion along the gravitational and body axes. Nature, 546(7659), 492-497.
- Grimm, C., & Gemmer, J. A. (2017). Weak and strong solutions to the inverse-square brachistochrone problem on circular and annular domains. Involve, a Journal of Mathematics, 10(5), 833-856.
- Gemmer, J., Sharon, E., Shearman, T., & Venkataramani, S. C. (2016). Isometric immersions, energy minimization and self-similar buckling in non-Euclidean elastic sheets. EPL (Europhysics Letters), 114(2), 24003.
- Gemmer, J. A., Venkataramani, S. C., Durfee, C. G., & Moloney, J. V. (2014). Optical beam shaping and diffraction free waves: A variational approach. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 283, 15-28.
- Durfee, C. G., Gemmer, J., & Moloney, J. V. (2013). Phase-only shaping algorithm for Gaussian-apodized Bessel beams. Optics express, 21(13), 15777-15786.
- Gemmer, J., & Venkataramani, S. C. (2013). Shape transitions in hyperbolic non-Euclidean plates. Soft Matter, 9(34), 8151-8161.
- Gemmer, J. A., & Venkataramani, S. C. (2012). Defects and boundary layers in non-Euclidean plates. Nonlinearity, 25(12), 3553.
- Gemmer, J. A., & Venkataramani, S. C. (2011). Shape selection in non-Euclidean plates. Physica D: Nonlinear Phenomena, 240(19), 1536-1552.
- Gemmer, J. A., Nolan, M., & Umble, R. (2011). Generalizations of the brachistochrone problem. Pi Mu Epsilon Journal, 207-218.
Mathematical modeling, complex analysis, partial differential equations, real analysis, numerical linear algebra, dynamical systems, calculus, calculus of variations, asymptotic analysis.
Baseball, hiking, fishing, reading NPR.